The St Andrews Practice is a private healthcare provider and does not provide urgent or crisis services, nor emergency assistance.
We will always recommend that where a person is in mental health crisis and cannot maintain their safety, that they access services delivered through the NHS . The NHS provides mental health crises services with the levels of support , monitoring and rapid response that a private practice cannot replicate.
If you , or someone you care for, are experiencing high levels of distress /chronic and severe self harm episode/ suicidal thinking, we advise that you :
- Contact your registered GP, during the hours of 8-5pm for an emergency appointment. They will arrange to see you and refer you on to the appropriate crisis service.
- Contact NHS 24 on 111 , during evenings, weekends and public holidays. They will arrange an out of hours appointment.
- IF YOU OR SOMEBODY YOU CARE FOR IS IN IMMEDIATE LIFE THREATENING DANGER, ALWAYS CALL 999.
Services local to St Andrews
Additional services provided by NHS Fife, which require a GP referral include:
- Community Mental Health Teams (CMHTS)
- Addictions services
- Eating Disorder Advanced Intervention Service
St Andrews University Student Services
- Advice, support , counselling and therapy for students of the University of St Andrews. The ASC (Advice and Support Centre) is a friendly front face of Student Services, and you can call 01334 46 2020 during office hours or outwith 01334
- Email [email protected]
ASC | Current Students | University of St Andrews (st-andrews.ac.uk)
Fife Women’s Aid
- A range of practical and emotional support services for women who are experiencing , or have experienced domestic abuse , based in Glenrothes
- Phone: 0808 802 5555 Email: [email protected]
Website : Services for Women – Fife Women’s Aid (fifewomensaid.org.uk)
FRASAC – Fife Rape and Sexual Assault Centre
- Fife Rape and Sexual Assault Centre is an independent voluntary organisation that offers a range of free and confidential time limited support to anyone 12+, of any gender, who has been raped or sexually assaulted at some point in their lives. Kirkaldy.
- Phone: 01592 642336 Email : [email protected]
- Website : About FRASAC | FRASAC
FASS – Fife Alcohol Support Service
- For individuals struggling with problematic alcohol /substance misuse, and their families: clinics throughout Fife ,counselling, outreach/liaison with NHS service
- Phone : Email :
- Website : FASS | Supporting you one step at a time (fassaction.org.uk)
We are with you (Formerly Addaction)
- A national service with local branches in Leven and Dundee, for individuals seeking help with substance/alcohol misuse and addiction
- Phone: 01333 433636 Email:
Website : Fife – With You (wearewithyou.org.uk)
Andys Man Club, St Andrews
- Male peer to peer support , meet regularly in St Andrews
- Phone : Email : [email protected]
- andysmanclub and see facebook for details of local meetings
- Confidential helpline staffed by trained professionals providing a service for individuals struggling with mood , mental health concerns, and life stresses
Tel: –0800 83 85 87 (18:00-02:00 Mon-Thur and 18:00-06:00 Fri-Mon)
- Confidential helpline staffed by trained volunteers
- Tel: 116 123 Email: [email protected]
- Texting service : 85258
- Free, 24/7 mental health text support in the UK | Shout 85258 (giveusashout.org)
Honest information about drugs | FRANK (talktofrank.com)
UK Domestic Abuse Violence Helpline
– A national service for women experiencing domestic violence, their family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf. Run in partnership between Women’s Aid and Refuge.
Tel: – 0808 2000 247 (24 hr)
Scotland’s Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline.
Confidential translation service also available
Tel: 0800 027 1234 (24 hr) Email: [email protected]
Home – Scotland’s Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline (sdafmh.org.uk)
Victim Support Scotland
Victim Support provides victims with free and confidential emotional and practical assistance and information about the criminal justice system.
Tel: 0345 603 9213
www. Home – Victim Support Scotland
Mental Welfare Commission Advice
The Mental Welfare Commission is an independent organisation working to safeguard the rights and welfare of everyone with a mental illness, learning disability or other mental disorder.
Tel: – 0800 389 6809 (24 hr)
Child and Young Person Services:
- A free, private and confidential service for children to access support
- Tel: 0800 1111 (24 hr)
NSPCC The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children
- a charity campaigning and working in child protection in the United Kingdom and the Channel Islands
– Tel: 0808 800 5000 Email: [email protected]
Help for those up to 25 years’ adoptees and for their birth parents, siblings and friends. Information and support on issues relating to adoptions, including tracing relatives, rights, birth identity and other services.
Tel: 0800 0568 578
Email: [email protected]
Free help, support and advice for children in care and young care leavers
Tel: 0800 023 2033
Eighteen and Under
Free support, information and helpline for young people under 18 who have experienced any type of abuse in Scotland.
Tel: 0800 731 4080 (09:00-17:00)
Worth Talking About
Helpline for young people aged 12-18 on sexuality, sexual health, contraception, pregnancy, family planning clinics, and relationships.
Tel: 0300 123 2930